Our seven step program starts with a turf evaluation and annual soil analysis!
Cool Season Turf Tips
Prestigious Turf Management is considered one of the top lawn card companies in the Yorktown area of Virginia. As part of supporting the local community we have put together a series of helpful hits to help you maintain your lawn through the different seasons here in Virginia. So if your looking for a beautiful green lawn in the cooler seasons here in Virginia please read our article on "Cool Season Turf Tips". If your looking for one of the best lawn care companies here in Virginia please consider Prestigious Turf Management.
• Cool Season Turf Type= 60-75F Optimum growing temperatures.
• It has major drawbacks as it is a cool season grass growing in an extremely hot and humid environment 4 months out of the year.
• Tall Fescue turf requires the most maintenance of any grass we can grow in our area.
• It's also our only shade tolerant cool season turf option.
• Most Cool Season lawns will lose up to 30% of the turf during our hot summers.
• Cooler months care is basic: water as needed, mow as needed and treat as needed with fertilizers and weed control.
• Hot months care becomes more critical: cool season grass is now trying to cope with extreme heat, high humidity, disease pressure and in some cases drought.
Below is a guideline which must be followed to
maintain a healthy Fescue lawn, most importantly through the hot months.
• Mower Blades:MUST BE SHARP, this is critical! A dull mower blade will tear the grass blade causing stress and weakens overall health making it more susceptible to disease. It also causes a "frosted" or browned appearance.
• Height:Set your mower blade height as high as it will go. This is usually around 3 ½” to 4”.
• Frequency: Once a week. Never cut off more than one-third of the grass blade when mowing. Cutting off too much of the blade at once will deplete the plant’s energy reserves.
• Fungicides, in conjunction with a proper cut height of at least 3.5 inches, and deep and infrequent watering during the months of May through August are the most critical components of Fescue turf health and sustainability.
• Fungicides are expensive period, fortunately not everyone needs them.
• Each fungicide application will effectively protect the plant from the disease for about 30 days. Lapse in fungicide applications must be avoided as this disease can spread quickly through an unprotected lawn in a brief period under the right environmental conditions.
• Often, clients decide to skip or hold off on a fungicide application, this disrupts the timing of their program and can lead to major damage to their turf.
• Other times customers will get properly sequenced fungicide applications, but neglect to water the turf which can lead to die out from heat stress and drought.
• MOST IMPORTANTLY, utilize fungicides from May to August. This is recommended for anyone with Tall Fescue turf and is something we highly encourage all our Fescue lawns to do. It’s one of the best ways to prevent disease. If you'd like an estimate for Disease Control, click here.